Gum disease is an infection that attacks the gums structures that support the teeth. Our team of experts located in Midlothian, VA, is happy to give you helpful information about gum disease so that you know what to watch for.
Signs of Gum Disease
If gum disease is diagnosed in its early stages, it is easier to treat. Contact Morrison Dental Group for gum disease treatment if you notice any of the following symptoms:
- Red, swollen, or tender gums
- Teeth that look too long because of receding gums
- Gums that bleed when you brush or floss
- Spaces, or pockets, between the gums and the teeth
- A change in the way that your teeth come together when you bite
- Persistent bad breath or bad taste
Stages of Gum Disease
There are three stages of gum disease. They include:
- Gingivitis – The earliest stage of gum disease, gingivitis is an infection of the gums that is caused by the buildup of plaque. If you have gingivitis, you may notice some bleeding when you brush and floss your teeth.
- Periodontitis – If this stage is reached, the bone and structures that support the teeth become damaged. Gaps or pockets form between the gums and the teeth. Food and plaque can become lodged in these pockets, heightening the issue.
- Advanced Periodontitis – The bone and structures supporting the teeth are destroyed, potentially causing the teeth to shift or loosen. This can affect your bite. If advanced treatment can’t save the teeth, some teeth may need to be removed.
We invite you to contact our office at 804-639-7500 today if you need treatment for gum disease in Midlothian, VA, with our dentist.