Many people feel nervous or stressed leading up to or during a dental appointment. There are even some whose anxiety goes so far as to be described as a phobia. Their fear of the dentist will lead them to do whatever they can to avoid visiting a dental office including ours in Midlothian, VA.
There are many things that can lead to dental anxiety. Some of the more common contributors are:
- The fear of discomfort or pain.
- A feeling of loss of control or helplessness. Some people become anxious because they can’t see what’s going on and cannot predict what will cause discomfort.
- Embarrassment or shame to have a stranger look into their mouth, particularly if they have dental flaws. In addition, many people may feel uncomfortable because of the physical closeness of the hygienist or dentist.
- Negative experiences. If an individual has experienced discomfort or pain during a dental procedure in the past, they are likely to feel more nervous the next time they visit the dentist.
If you experience dental fear or dental phobia, it is imperative that you let us know. Our team can work with you to ensure your comfort when you visit our office. There are also things you can do to reduce stress. To relax in the dental chair, try:
- Deep breathing.
- Progressive relaxation, during which you consciously relax each muscle or area of your body one at a time.
- Distracting yourself. You can bring music and earbuds to our office.
We invite you to contact Morrison Dental Group today at 804-419-7067 for more information and to set up a visit with our dentist in Midlothian, VA.